Sunday, February 11, 2007

So, I feel like creating a post this morning, but I don't have a whole lot to post about.

Well, I suppose I could go off about this one thing...

There's this initiative that they're trying to pass, but really only facetiously, to require you to have kids within three years after marriage. Really the only reason is because they're whining that the Supreme Courts have upheld a ban on same-sex marriage.

Now, here's my take. I think that initiative is pretty stupid. Okay, sure they want people to think about it, but that really puts it in a negative light. They're not trying to promote same-sex marriage as a good thing, they're trying to redefine "traditional" marriage. Actually, I think the best way a judge could defeat this is simply use the argument that a "womans body is her own", since that's already an accepted "fact" from Roe vs. Wade. That should effectively allow them to shoot down the initiative without having to address it as having any type of validity. If they DO pass the initiative, however, anti-abortionists should be cheering, because they could take that initiative and shoot holes through Roe vs. Wade.

Now my personal opinion is that same sex relationships are pretty screwed up. That's how I feel about them. Not just on a moral/religious ground (actually I'm more inclined to support them from that basis...), but on an emotional/psychological ground. Until someone can show me that you can be really well adjusted and be homosexual (oh, random tidbit, I heard a few years back some people were trying to get that term labeled non-PC...)then I really don't have any support for it. But I also believe that people can pursue happiness however they'd like as long as that happiness does not interfere with the happiness and well being of others. Hence, I don't support same-sex relations having/adopting children, on a psychological basis.

But let's say you're in a same-sex relationship and you want the tax benefits of marriage. What other reason would you want the title? If someone really has some other reason they've heard, let me know.

So you want the tax breaks. Well, this is what you do. Find some opposite gender couple that you get along with and marry them! Heck, live in the same house or whatever if you'd like, it really doesn't matter. But if you did, then you'd get the tax breaks, and let's say you wanted children - well there you go! And really, no one should be able to complain about it from a legal perspective. Only morally could people argue against it. My personal feelings are that anyone who grew up in a household like that would be seriously... messed up emotionally, but that's something that you'll have to deal with.

I don't condemn you for what you do, how you act, or how you feel. But let's try to keep some perspective... they're your problems, and you need to deal with the problems specific to YOU. Don't push the blame around, please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home