Thursday, July 05, 2007

The Land of the Free...

WordNet defines a patriot as "one who loves and defends his or her country".

I've realized, during these past few weeks that indeed, I am a patriot. I love both of my countries, Canada and the United States.

I also realize, that sadly, there are some seriously screwed up things with this country, the United States.

That's not why I love my country, though. I love my country for the principles of freedom and equality it was founded upon.

But lately, our society has trended towards censorship, inequality, and those things which - if left unchecked - will lead a country to ruin.

I do not have the skills to put voice to the things that I see around me, how society is crumbling before our very eyes. I also see that people are searching for the right, for the goodness that this country used to possess. But they cannot find it. And they don't know what it is they're looking for.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home